Thursday, March 25, 2010

When Bloggers Vanish - The Legend of KafirGirl

KafirGirl was one of the first bloggers I followed regularly.  I don't remember how I stumbled upon her, but it was early in her mission as a Muslim-turned-atheist to read the Quran from cover to cover and blog about it in her hilarious and still educational style.  I actually bought a Quran myself to follow along.  Her reasons?
There are so many reasons. Here are a few:

1. I’m a glutton for punishment.
2. I grew up in a Muslim household, and it’s important for me to understand how so many people (including my own family) can be duped by this religion.

3. I think Islam escapes a lot of the scrutiny that the Bible gets, and that’s really unfortunate, because it’s just as fucked up as Christianity and Judaism are.

4. I was really inspired by the guys who do The Non-Prophets podcast and The Atheist Experience TV show. (If you haven’t heard of either, definitely check them out.) These guys know the Bible better than most of the Bible thumpers who call in to the show. Know thy enemy, right? That’s what I’m trying to do. I thought I’d start with the Quran since it’s the one that hits closest to home.

I looked forward to her posts daily.  I sent a link to her page to a lot of my friends, and apparently I was not the only one because the numbers of her followers and comments boomed.  She even had her own Cafe Press site with merchandise donning her logo.  She was just nominated for a LadyBlogger award.
 
Then, suddenly, one day in February of 2009, she disappeared.  Her last interaction with the site appears to be:
Jaffar, your question is flawed. You’re assuming that someone “made” the whole universe. It’s a circular argument.

kafirgirl
February 3, 2009 at 3:55 pm
Slowly, the comments on this last post took on a worried tone. Fans began e-mailing her and checking her other known profile on Atheist Nexus (which also had also not been updated).  Some were convinced that she quit, others suggested that she could have been attacked for what she wrote.  Some simply missed her.

Of course, it's not impossible that she had some personal reason for suddenly giving it up, but if that was the case, why not take down the site all together?  I have a vague feeling that something has happened to her, but what can you do when an anonymous internet user goes missing?  What recourse does one have?

For now, I'm stuck with a desperate plea:  Does anyone know the whereabouts of KafirGirl??

S.A.M.

1 comment:

  1. This is what happened when one lives in an Islamic country because the Islamists, jihadists and parents and Islamic societies will come to you and punish you, including killing. The exposure by Kafirgirl resulted of her banishment.

    ReplyDelete