Monday, April 5, 2010

Classes announced! History Debunked??

I registered for next semester's classes on Friday - and I can't wait for September.  I am taking a class on the history of Christianity.  This is a straight-up anthropology course so no theology.  That will be a first for me.  I spent the first 13 years of my education in private Catholic schools, so I can't wait to finally have a "religion" class without the spin.  I hope we cover EVERYTHING - rejected books of the bible, the Crusades, the politics of the early popes.  I'm hoping this class WON'T be a breeze for me, though, because it could be an excellent opportunity to toughen up my organized religion debates.

Speaking of things like the Dead Sea Scrolls, Easter was a great day for the History Channel.  I had a hard time tearing myself away for the family dinner.  I was happy to watch some educational stuff about the actual history of the bible or cathedrals instead of just "Was Jesus Real??" features. 

One show I am NOT excited about watching on the History Channel: The Real Face of Jesus.  Um... hasn't the scientific community pretty much dismissed the shroud as a medieval fraud?  I could have sworn I actually saw the story of the debunking on the History Channel.  So why would a fake shroud reveal a real face?  I'm sure the technology is cool, but why not apply it to mummies or something?  This is definetely a step backward for the History Channel in my mind.  Next step - find another ark.  :(

S.A.M.

4 comments:

  1. The shroud has been debunked a million times. This dude doesn't think so, http://shroudofturin.wordpress.com/2010/03/01/krissthesexyatheist-trying-to-debunk-the-shroud-of-turin-by-faith/#comment-1069

    Welcome to the blogroll. Awesomeness.

    Kriss

    ReplyDelete
  2. The History Channel has shows about aliens in the Bible... I wouldn't worry too much about the shroud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of the ark, I was talking to an old Christian friend of mine, telling me about how one of their relatives went up to see the ark. They were fully convinced that the decaying piece of wood up in the mountain is a piece of Noah's ark, I just nodded and smiled. Wasn't really sure what to say to that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the welcome! And LOL about the shroud, aliens and ark. I guess religion works in "mysterious ways!"

    ReplyDelete